The model workplace safety laws commence in January, but employers that wait until then to comply could find themselves at risk of fines, prosecutions, or worse.
According to Kemp Strang partner Lisa Berton and lawyer Ben Urry, OHS professionals should be preparing by addressing five key areas:
• Documentation - Recycling old policies could land you in hot water. Lisa and Ben will explain which policies and procedures to update now.
• Related risks - Harmonisation preparedness is challenging, but employers must keep an eye on broader, related topics including discrimination, bullying, psychological injuries and more.
• Consultation - The model Act broadens consultation obligations. Don't get caught out in this crucial area.
• Training - Your organisation most likely has new duty holders when it comes to due diligence. Ensure you know who they are, and equip them with the tools and knowledge they need to meet their obligations.
• Incident response - Don't wait until things go wrong to put the right processes in place. Make sure you understand legal professional privilege and comply with the law while reducing your liability.
In this presentation (held 22 September 2011), hear which new rules apply to each of these areas.
You'll be posted a CD containing the presentation and Q&A (in both Quicktime and Windows Media formats), and presenters' slides.